United Way Offering Free Tax Help

It’s tax season.  Here are a few most asked questions.  Who needs to file ? All income, including from part-time side jobs or the sale of goods is still taxable.  You should have received a 1099 form by now if you received third party payments last year that exceeded $600.  Even if under that amount some accountants recommend filing anyway as you could qualify for a refund.  The deadline this year is April 18.  The average turn around time for a refund is 21 days.  The fastest way is to file electronically and choosing direct deposit.  It’s faster than waiting for a paper check in the mail and avoiding the it getting lost, stolen or returned to the IRS as undeliverable.

Filing taxes can be overwhelming especially with changing laws. If you need help filing your taxes, you may qualify to get some free help.  The United Way Association of South Carolina shares several ways they can help at no cost if you qualify.   Anyone can file.  And those who meet income criteria can get theirs done for them at no cost. as part of the IRS’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program (accessible by clicking on the “Have My Return Prepared For Me” option on its homepage.) One of the programs is for those with a combined household income of $73,000 or less.   Those who earned less than $50,000 last year may be eligible for a substantial EITC credit.  There is also a program called VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) that can help those making less than ($60,000) a year.  It can be filed online but some local chapters are taking appointments if you need to meet in person for help.  For more information call 1-800-906-9887 or dial 2-1-1 or visit SC211.org.