Chef Jamie’s Buffalo Chicken Mac-n-Cheese
Serves about 4 people
Chicken Thighs 3-4 pieces
All Purpose Seasoning as needed
Water 1 c
Whole Milk 3/4 c
Buffalo Wing Sauce 3/4 c
All Purpose Seasoning 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
Egg, Large 1
Black Pepper 1/4 tsp
Fresh Mint Leaves, optional 3-4 leaves
6 Blend Italian Shredded Cheese 2 c
Ranch Dressing as needed
Pasta, small shells 2 c
Water 4 c
Kosher Salt 1 Tbl
- In an small 8 x 8 oven safe baking pan, place the chicken thighs into the pan and top with a good amount of all purpose seasoning, then pour 1 cup of water over the chicken and cover with aluminum foil. Place in a 375 degree oven and bake until the chicken reaches 165 degrees. Once the chicken is cooked, transfer the chicken to a cutting board and chop to small pieces, trimming and access fat that did not cook off. Set aside unit pasta is ready. Leave the oven on! Rinse this pan out and set aside to use again.
- In a small sauce pot, bring the water and kosher salt to a boil and then add the pasta. Cook for about 8 minutes until the pasta is a little soft but not mushy. Strain immediately and place in the oven safe baking pan. Then top with the cooked chicken.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the milk, wing sauce, all purpose seasoning, egg, black pepper, 1 cup of the cheese and mint leaves, then pour into the pan with the chicken and pasta. Carefully stir to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven, carefully stir the mac -n- cheese and spread the last cup of cheese over the top. Place back into the oven for another 10 minutes uncovered. Once the dish has baked for another 10 minutes, switch the oven to broil 500 degrees and allow the cheese to brown for about 3-4 minutes. Being very careful to not burn the top.
- Once the dish is ready, allow to rest for 5-10 minutes on the counter, serve with ranch dressing.