Pumpkin French Toast with Jamie Saunders
Pumpkin French Toast, served topped
with a Bourbon Pecan Praline
*Sliced Bread, 1/2” -1” thick 8-12 slices *see notes
Milk 1 1/2 c
Brown Sugar 1/3 c
Pumpkin 2/3 c
Cinnamon 1/4 tsp
Ginger, dry 1/4 tsp
Vanilla 2 tsp
Salt 1/4 tsp
Bourbon Pecan Praline
Butter, unsalted 4 Tbl
Brown Sugar 4 Tbl
Cinnamon 1/4 tsp
Bourbon 2 Tbl
Vanilla 1/4 tsp
Maple Syrup 1/2 c
Pecan, chopped 1 c
- Slice the desired amount of slices of bread you need and set aside.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the pumpkin custard into a bowl and keep in the refrigerator until needed.
- Bourbon Pecan Praline: In a non stick pan, over a medium high heat, melt the butter and add the sugar, cinnamon and salt to the pan and allow the mixture to come to a simmer. Add the pecans, and toss and bring back up to a simmer. Then carefully add the bourbon, being careful of flair ups and toss the pecan praline. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 2 minutes, to allow the alcohol to cook off. Add the vanilla and maple syrup and bring to a slow simmer while tossing and stirring. Once the praline is to your desired consistency, turn the heat down to very low, to keep warm and start your french toast.
- In another non-stick pan, drop the bread into the custard and allow to sit for for 15 seconds to soak up some of the custard. Over a medium high heat place the bread onto the skillet and allow to brown on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side. Place on a plate and cover with aluminum and keep warm. Then repeat with the rest of the bread.
- Serve topped with your warm Bourbon Pecan Praline.
*Notes: Purchase a full size loaf of any bread you choose and slice yourself. Make sure the crust is thin and a bit soft.
If you do not have non-stick pan, heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a before grilling the french toast