Jamie Saunders’ Maple Bacon Stuffed French Toast
Maple Bacon Stuffed French Toast
Milk 2 % 1 1/2 cup
Eggs, large 2
Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoon
Brown Sugar 1/3 cup
Cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon
Nutmeg 1/8 teaspoon
Bacon, pre-cooked 4 slices
Cream Cheese, room temperature 1 – 8 ounces
Maple Syrup 2 – 3 tablespoon
French Bread 8 thick slices
Canola Oil for cooking
Powder Sugar as needed
Maple Syrup as needed
- Cook bacon until crispy in a non stick skillet pan over medium heat, then crumble or chop into small pieces. Wipe pan out, place on the stove.
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth, then beat in the maple syrup. Test the flavor, add more syrup if desired. Fold in the crumbled bacon with a rubber spatula. Set aside.
- Cut 8 slices of French bread about 1 inch thick at a bias. In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the dipping custard. Dip each slice of bread into the custard and allow it to saturate, about 5 seconds. Transfer to a plate and repeat with all the slices.
- In a non stick pan, melt butter over a medium high heat. Once the butter is simmering, place the soaked bread onto the hot griddle, about 2-3 slices at a time. Grill on each side until golden brown about 2-3 minutes. Adjust heat if necessary.
- Transfer to a serving plate, spread about 1/4 cup of the cream cheese mixture between two slices of the French toast. Top with powdered sugar and syrup. Eat while still warm.