Airline passenger’s headphones explode mid-flight

A woman says she was burned while on an international flight between Beijing and Melbourne and her headphones might be to blame.

Her face was left blackened and her hand blistered after her battery-powered headphones caught fire. The woman told the Australian Transport Safety Bureau that she was sleeping and listening to music about two hours into the flight when she heard an explosion.

The woman reported that she threw her headphones on the floor and saw sparks and small flames shooting from them. The flight attendants poured a bucket of water on them. The ATSB believes the batteries in the device likely caused the fire.

Related